Friday, December 7, 2018

Stop texting your teens during the school day


I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are a parent of an adolescent, please listen to me. Stop texting your kids during school hours. There is no good excuse from detracting from your child's education because of what may be your good intentions or convenience. Example: I was working with an 11th grader on the student's research paper. Every three seconds, the student's mom was writing her on a text messaging service that has an app he/she can use on her Mac. (I ask them to turn of their phones during class.)



"Hi honey."

"How are you?"

"Are you having a good day?"

"How did your test go?"

"Hello?"

"Are you there?"

"Why aren't you answering? Is everything okay."

Do you think the kid could focus on the research paper? I couldn't even focus on the research paper because I was reading the texts. Also, because my interaction with her took longer as she was unfocused, and so was I, I couldn't help as many students as I wanted to.

Your kids are okay. And if they are not, your text messages aren't going to help them. You are negatively impacting their education and denying them their God given right to become independent, secure adults.

If you are compulsive, and I am as well, so I get it, download an app where you can schedule your texts to arrive to your kids' messenger service a minute before school ends. That way you won't forget what you need to tell them, and you won't be bothering them all day.

Image result for good grief

No comments: