Sunday, April 5, 2009

Porkless Donuts

I started a petition in support of an Arab American who was told he had to give up his Dunkin’ Donuts franchise license because he wouldn’t serve pork in his stores. According to a Chicago Tribune article, he was able to have the store sans pork from 1979-2002 until Dunkin’ Donuts “would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.”

After a seven year court battle, higher courts found that Dunkin’ Donuts could refuse to renew his franchise license.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the court ruling. I’m not a legal scholar. Their interpretation of law and the constitution is probably correct.

My issue is with Dunkin’ Donuts the company acting without a moral compass.

So you might be asking, why do I care?

There is something about this that has struck a nerve. Maybe it’s because I know there is a kosher Dunkin’ Donuts on Devon. Maybe because I know there are porkless Dunkin’ Donuts in Arab and Muslim countries.

Maybe it’s because, according to the Tribune, he bought the license back in the 70s, instead of a lets say, McDonald’s, because then Dunkin’ Donuts didn’t serve pork products.

Or maybe because I’ve recently become obsessed with genealogy and am simply amazed that my 8 great grandparents emigrated from Eastern Europe, survived the Great Depression, and have descendants all of whom have realized the American Dream, mostly to a great degree.

I don’t know where Walid Elkhatib is from and I don’t really care, to be honest. All I know, is that he is a first generation American and he deserves to run his business within the confines of his religious beliefs, just as he has done since I was just a little girl.

He’s not asking to close during Ramadan. He’s just asking not to serve pork. It’s not like he’s running a ham shop and asking not to serve pork. He wants to sell doughnuts, muffins and coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts.

My message to Dunkin’ Donuts is as follows: just let him and stop being such corporate jerks.

Sign the petition

Read the Tribune article

3 comments:

dirk-y-one-kinobee said...

Sharna I appreciate that you like to root for the little guy fighting against the big, bad corporation, but not this time. Practicing a religion is a personal choice, and should not imply any obligation on third parties to make sacrifices. If DD thinks their business will be adversely affected by this guy's religious needs, then he is a liablity and needs to go. And don't kid yourself: DD has real balls for fighting this particular battle against religious extremism.

scarpeta said...

religious extremism? not wanting to serve pork? i don't think that counts as extremist.

Dirk said...

Whateva. Sharna, can you post several recent photos of yourself?