Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I dedicate this post to Bernard Madoff.

There are only a couple of days left to donate to your favorite charity to receive the benefits of tax deductions. I am listing 20 charities here. The first 10 will be charities not affiliated religiously. The second 10 (coming tomorrow) will be Jewish charities - because that is where my expertise lies. Any charity or not for profit on the list has either personal significance or significance to close friends. However, as an employee of a not for profit, I do not gain anything from any of these endorsements.

1. The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation

2. National Multiple Sclerosis Society

3. Autism Speaks

4. Pancreatic Cancer Action Network

5. The Innocence Project

6. Homes for Our Troops: Building Specially Adapted Homes for Troops with Disabilities

7. International Planned Parenthood

8. American Brain Tumor Association

9. Parkinson's Disease Foundation

10. National Alliance to End Homelessness

1 comment:

Mitch Kurman said...

Hooray, we're #1!

When my father was diagnosed with multiple myeloma back in 2001, we discovered the wonderful organization that is the MMRF. Since that time, their funding has lead to 4 new drug therapies that are now available to patients. Their strategies have also lead to a new funding model for research. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/28/080128fa_fact_groopman?currentPage=1

We started raising money for the cause out of self-interest...the more successful the MMRF, the more likely that my father will be to remain with us, giving my children a chance to know their grandfather. I am happy to say that there are now 5 grandchildren that have met and spent time with their grandfather and I have one on the way who will likely get the same luxury.

I don't know how Sharna learned of this cause when I found her on the race trail during the annual MMRF 5K a number of years ago. Thanks to you, Sharna, for your ongoing support.

If you are fortunate enough to have a surplus of capital this holiday season, please consider a donation to the MMRF.